Friday 22 March 2013

Ye Cannae Take My Freedom!



I have, for quite a while now, been thinking about the true meaning of freedom. Being married as long as I have sends you like that.

We are none of us ‘free’ in the true sense of the word. To be really free you would have to take a bow and arrow and live in a jungle by yourself. I can guarantee that if you think this is such a romantic idea, your thoughts would quickly change from freedom to survival.

You see that’s the problem we have, freedom means different things to different people. We have to have rules and laws, otherwise humans could not function as a group. All creatures on earth have rules of their species that they obey, but there are a few Mavericks.

The recent events with the newspapers here in Britain gave me cause to worry. The west likes to think that it leads the way in democracy, but whose version of democracy?

In the past, you read a newspaper that reflected your political stance. You then knew which side of the fence you had to paint. But in time, some press barons became more powerful than others. And the political scene in Britain changed, as son of Thatcherstien, Tony Blair formed ‘suits R us’ and all parties jumped on the bandwagon. The problem was that without definition, they need spin; so they climbed into bed with the press barons.

Politicians in bed with the press and vice versa is a corrosive and deceitful affair, that, as we have just seen, can only end in tears. Gone are the days of real press men such as the Australian reporter John Pilger, who spoke out against Britain's and America's foreign policy because he saw them as colonialism, and in came the "who’s shagging who" brigade.

Newspapers don’t carry news any more, just shit about so-called celebrities, none of whom I have heard of. They are usually talentless attention-seekers that would sell their child for a paragraph in one of the daily red tops! Do you really care who other people sleep with? As long as they are not sleeping with my wife I don’t give a toss, come to think of it even if they are sleeping with my wife I...no, just kidding.

In the past, a celebrity was - as it said on the can - ‘A person whose life you celebrated’.

When one of my heroes, Gandhi, visited the west, a reporter, seeing a good headline asked, “Mr Gandhi, what do you think of western civilisation?” To which Gandhi replied, “Yes, it sounds like a good idea!”

Can you imagine any politician anywhere in the world now with the wit to say something as clever as that?

You see, true freedom is intellectual freedom, free from political, social or religious dogma. The right to think freely without having to conform or obey ideologies that have been fed to us over many years.

I love the quote that is attributed to Voltaire (François-Marie Arouet). “I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.” I believe this with every atom of my being. (The last line was mine, not Voltaire’s).

To be truly free intellectually is probably even more difficult than buying a bow and arrow and moving to the jungle. We have all been bombarded from birth with the views of people which we have come to take as the truth without ever questioning them. They become our snuggle blanket that we wrap around ourselves in the mistaken belief of truth.

I have, for many years, been trying to rediscover the real world, viewing it without my biased, bigoted glasses of my past given to me by both my parents and my social background. It is very difficult, as I no longer have my snuggle blanket as I’m constantly confronted with people whose beliefs are entrenched into their very fibre. The world is a big, diverse planet full of amazing, wonderful things. Some of which we know lots about, some of which we know very little. I wish all people were given the chance to go with an open clear mind out into the world and see and feel its true beauty, without the brain-damaging ideologies their societies force on them from childhood.

We can not achieve intellectual freedom unless we have the ability to understand what others have to say and, in turn, communicate our ideas back to them. Every person on this planet should have the right to a proper free education. Without literacy we are again reliant on others to give us information, this of course will be their version of events.

Now for the shameless promotion of my work. I have been quite fortunate in my life and had a bit of success in my chosen field which if you don’t know is writing and comedy or both. My first book, ‘The Spot on My Bum has become a book which children and adults love. It was written at first to encourage my son Lee who is dyslexic, I now travel the globe trying to engage young people using humour and rude poetry. I try to show them the fun side of learning; the rest will then follow.

I have recently started to write for older teens and for adults. These books are fast-paced stories with strange twists. I want adults who wouldn’t normally read to pick up a book and have a go. My stories hopefully are written in a style which is all story and no padding, so you can pick it up and put it down when you like - just like freezing a DVD. It must be working, as my new book Changes, is up for an award (vote here on the side of this blog!)

This is why I have been thinking recently about freedom. My publishers have let me experiment with styles which in truth can be hit and miss. I also have a radio show on Phoenixfm 96.7fm which goes out every Wednesday at 2 pm till 4 pm British time. I present the show with my co-host Chantel (she hates it when you spell her name wrong!) and it’s just chat and comedy. Again Phoenix lets me experiment with the content of the show.

There must be lots of people out there who have a talent for art. Whether it be for writing, painting, sculpture, music or any other form of art. Who have never had the chance or the opportunity that I have been lucky enough to have.

So I want to start some sort of artistic movement, where beginners can work with established people in their chosen field. I want them to have the intellectual freedom to try out new ideas. You wouldn’t believe how many times people tell me, “I would love to write a book!” Well, come on then, do it!

I don’t care where you are in the world or what your background is. This is where artists new and established can swap ideas free from doctrine and dogma to create new art. I have called my new series of books Twisted Minds; I think that would be a good name for my new venture.

I have no idea how this will work, but if you like the idea then post a comment or send me an e mail.

Remember this is an artistic movement not a political or religious movement.

Do you have a twisted mind full of other peoples ideas?  Let's untangle the knot!

Now I have to go cook a meal for my wife, when I have dropped off some presents to her sister's house for her. I do love my freedom!




No comments:

Post a Comment