Sunday 19 June 2016

Mad, Bad, Sad World!

It's easy to see the bad in the world, just turn on any news channel. Anywhere in the world. You will usually be shown some sort of propaganda from some political/religious point of view. This, I'm afraid, is inevitable. But why do we never get told the reason behind the news?

We still have a situation in Europe where we have a massive influx of middle eastern refugees/migrants. They make a perilous journey across the Mediterranean crammed into boats that are unfit for purpose, where lots of people perish along the way. These people are being trafficked by unscrupulous people traffickers. Why is this allowed to happen? I don't believe for one moment that the relevant authorities don't know who these people are! If the people who are fleeing find it easy to contact these people, then surely the authorities can find them?

People don't uproot from their lives and flee with little or no money and nowhere to go to without good cause. You do not make the decision to take your family away on a dangerous journey with an uncertain outcome unless you are terrified. Why is this situation allowed to carry on?

Everyone who knows anything about world politics knows that the middle east has always been unstable. So why are governments from all over the world trying to make it even more unstable? 

OIL!

The middle east is where the next world war will start. It already has signs of this now, with the mess that Syria is in. We have the old east meets west philosophy banging heads together again. We already have Putin, who makes Hannibal Lecter look like a chorus boy. Now we have the chance of another lunatic getting into power and making things far worse: ladies and gentlemen, I give you the hairstyle that no one wants, Donald Trump! These two will be like two playground bullies fighting over the little fat kids' lunch money! They will, I'm sure, push the situation to a point of no return between them.

After the horrible shootings in America we now have one of our politicians here in Britain being murdered in cold blood. Jo Cox was an MP (Member of Parliament) for Batley and was murdered in Birstall. These small northern towns are not far from where I live. I have even written a blog about the splendours of Batley before. I have been told that I have met Jo in the past, but I'm so disillusioned about politics now that I pay little attention when I meet politicians, so I don't remember her unfortunately.

Jo was giving a talk about battling the practice of sending young girls from the Asian community over to Pakistan to marry some old guy! I find this appalling practice unbelievable, yet another case of abuse masquerading as tradition or culture. It's your job as a parent to ensure your child is safe, loved and educated, they are not part of someone's passport application! I have since found out that she was a tireless campaigner for many causes and was what a true politician should be, a person that fought for the rights of the people they serve. She will be missed.

Many people have been saying that if the gunman had been Asian, people would be claiming that it was terrorism. It is terrorism! It doesn't matter what your background is, if you use violence to force your will and views onto others then it's terrorism. Doesn't matter if it's one lone lunatic or a collective of lunatics. The outpouring of genuine love from her constituents, though, has given an old cynic like me a little hope for our political future.

Having faith in our political future is very difficult at the moment as we have the referendum on whether to stay or leave the EU. There have been lots of claims and counter claims from each side. If you want to leave you have been painted as a ignorant racist, so lots of people have become closet Brexiteers. The truth is no one really knows what will happen if we stay or if we leave, that is the only true fact we have! Though we do have lot's of 'experts' telling us everything from we will have a bright utopia if we leave to we will have a bright utopia if we stay. We have had warnings of everything from war breaking out to being over run by migrants in-between. While I'm on the subject who told the loathsome politicians on the Brexit side that they are in charge? I don't remember voting for them to represent me! I watched Johnson in a debate the other evening, and the man's a moron! Another thing is how can they make promises about what will happen if we leave? They are not an elected government! I do worry about who will do our negotiating for us if we do decide to leave, and I shudder to think that Johnson and co will be our representatives!

On a lighter note a young man this week told me that he would love to live in Moldova. I asked him why, as it is my understanding that this country is part of the former Soviet bloc and has lots of social and economic difficulties. The young man burst out laughing, saying that I 'didn't know anything'. This may well be true, so I asked him why he had formed this opinion of me, “Moldova, doesn't exist!” he laughed. This statement, I'm sure, will come as a shock to the people of this eastern European state which borders Ukraine and I think Romania (I should check that out). They have been going about their business for years, not knowing that they don't exist.

I asked this young man why he thought there was no such place as Moldova and he replied, “Coz it's in The Lord Of The Rings!” then laughed some more. I have to admit that, though I have read the Tolkien books many years ago, I don't remember him mentioning Moldova in them. It was then when I worked out just what he was talking about, because of his Goth appearance. He was trying to be radical by saying he would like to live in a scary place (he should move to Batley!). 

“Do you mean that you would like to live in Mordor?” I asked.

“Where the fuck is that?”

“It's nearer to The Lord Of The Rings than Moldova for a start.

“I don't know what you're on about?”

I can't believe that these people can be so stupid. This lad was on the internet on his phone all the time, all he had to do was type in both these names and his education would improve a little. Instead he said it with a straight face, as he stood in front of me, with thick eye makeup; his lips had red lipstick on them, and he had dyed his hair jet black. He wore a long leather coat with chains hanging from it and on his feet he had what can only be described as Frankenstein boots!

“What are you some sort of wierdo?” With that he walked off

It's a mad, bad, sad world at times!


No comments:

Post a Comment