Saturday 14 December 2013

I'm Les Miserables!

I have recently been watching a documentary on staging musicals in the West End. The programme was a fascinating insight into just how much work goes into staging these theatrical spectaculars. It also shows you just how much money is spent on the production.

I have, in the past, staged productions in the theatre, but nothing on the scale of these musicals. As the man in charge, I can tell you that it's a lot of hassle and pressure, especially when things go wrong.

I remember one incident when Elaine, my co-producer, and myself walked into the theatre on the day of the production and within two minutes of walking through the door of the auditorium, Elaine received a phone call from one of the main acts, saying they were unable to make the show! Trust me when I say I developed instant Tourette's!

When so many people depend on you and so much money is at stake, I can't imagine what sort of pressure some of these producers are under.

But having said all this, I just don't get it! None of it! Musicals are, for me, tuneless, camp and dull. I know millions of people love them; my brother and his wife visit London regularly to go to see the latest musical extravaganza. I know lots of people who would love to be able to see one of these camp-fests but don't have the finances. I have the finances, but not the slightest interest.

I do have to confess that when I was very young I saw the film musical, `Singing in The Rain ' on TV and really enjoyed the 'Make 'em Laugh' routine with Donald O’Connor - and that was only because he ran up a wall. But that's about it for me.

Andrew Lloyd-Webber's stuff, leaves me feeling cold. I find the production of the pieces that I've seen extremely over the top and camp and I find the music tedious.

I also watched a documentary on the history of the musical, 'Les Miserables' and though this was really interesting, the musical wasn't. Which is a shame, because the book by Victor Hugo, who was the French equivalent of Charles Dickens, was a masterpiece.

So why don't I like the musicals? I love a good story, I love music, I even like a few operas, but I just don't get musicals.

While I'm on the subject of operas, many years ago I went to watch a production of Puccini's `Madame Butterfly'. During the performance, the lead female character, Cio-Cio San asks the lead male character, Pinkerton, to guess her age. He starts off at twenty years old and works down to seventeen. Cio-Cio replies, “No I'm fifteen”. It was then that someone from the audience shouted out, `lying cow!'

Can you imagine my shock on discovering that it was me that had shouted it out? I thought it but didn't realise that I had said it. I was quite pleased to hear it get a big laugh though more than can be said for the fifty-seven year old Cio-Cio, who flicked me the finger!

Why don't these operas try to get someone that could at least pass for ten years older than the character they are trying to play. And putting on a black wig and a kimono and painting the side of your eyes, doesn't hide the fact that you are a sixteen-stone granny from Russia!

Another thing about operas is that when someone gets knifed, they sing as they die. I have had the misfortune to witness quite a lot of violence in my time, but never once have I seen anyone sing as they die!
But for me some operas have some fantastic tunes, you can enjoy them even if you don't understand what they are saying. 

Lots of people know tunes from operas such as Carmen without realising it, and I love the chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from Verdi's `Nabucco'. But I don't think I could tell you one song from a musical - I'm sure if someone mentioned one, I would know it but they don't stand out.

One last thing before I go and pour myself a drink. If Giuseppe Verdi lived in England he would be called Joe Green; doesn't have the same ring to it, does it?



No comments:

Post a Comment