Sunday 3 November 2013

Sex in the City?



It is fair to say that I’ve been out of the dating game for more years than I care to remember.When I was dating, young people went to discos and the hardest date rape drug available was six pints of larger and lime! Most girls wanted a proposal of marriage before you were allowed anywhere near undergarments, and John Travolta was a sexy teen idol pin up!

But it seems that as you get older, the dating game becomes more difficult. Gone are the reckless days of young abandonment and in are families, property, and "bitter ex" relationships.

I had a conversation with a female friend of mine this week, she is single at the moment and wants a relationship without ties. I don’t think she meant the neck-covering type of tie! I told her that this is possibly a man's dream, a woman that just wants a good time without any commitment. But she said it’s quite difficult, because when men get to a certain age and are still single, they either have a drink problem, have always lived with Mummy, or have had a string of relationships which they have wrecked - or sometimes, they might have all three!

I told her that surely you can work out if they're suitable on the first date. She pointed out that people usually think I’m OK, when they first meet me! I’m not sure what she means by that. I told her that it would be far easier for her to find someone than it would be for me, but she disagreed.

My argument is this. If she wanted just to have a good night and sex with a man without any ties all she has to do is walk into the nearest local pub (bar) and make it known that she is up for a night of fun and sex. She would have no problem making her choice. Whereas if I were to walk into a pub, as cute as I am, and let it be known that I wanted sex, the police would be called.

Her defence is that going into a pub by yourself can be quite dangerous, even if you’re not looking for sex, and she certainly wouldn’t want sex with a stranger, or to take a stranger back to her house.

Is it me, or is this beginning to sound a lot less like sex without strings, and more like commitment?
A male friend of mine has been single for many years and is a good bloke (that’s his problem, he’s a bloke) He has old-fashioned ideas about romance, though he doesn’t fit any of the above categories. He’s financially secure and he says that he doesn’t want a full time relationship, as it gets in the way of his blokiness, riding and fixing motorbikes and fishing. 

But he would like a female friend to go out with sometimes, and go on holiday with. He said that he knows it’s impossible to find a woman like this so he’s decided to remain single.

I told my female friend about him, and she said he sounds selfish!

So as far as I can workout this is what she wants:

A man that has all his own hair and teeth, financially secure. He doesn’t fall in love with her after two weeks and doesn’t sleep at her house. She doesn’t want to see him during the week, only at weekends, and then she doesn’t want to be pestered for sex. He can have that when she is ready, and on her terms. No talk of ex-partners or problems with children that have gone off the rails.

She wants romantic nights out, with him picking up the bill, and also a few holidays away would be nice. She will not do any washing cleaning or cooking for anyone except herself. He must be clean and presentable and wash more than once a week: NO MUMMY'S BOYS! He must not have an ex that he hasn’t got over. or any strange fetishes that involve implements or unpleasant bending! He must not have a criminal record, or be very religious, believe in corn circles, aliens or vampires.

Any offers?


No comments:

Post a Comment