Sunday 24 November 2013

I Want To Be A Celebrity, Get Me A Career!



I don’t understand "hate TV", or the public’s morbid fascination for it. What’s worse is that my wife buys into it and is an avid viewer. If you don’t know what I’m talking about see programmes such as ‘Come Dine With Me’ or, ‘Four In a Bed’ and a multitude of more tedious "spite shows", filled  with episodes of dull people wanting their fifteen minutes of fame.

The premise of these programs is the same, invite someone into your house and then let them be very rude and arrogant about you and your hospitality.

I would have got a smack about the head from my parents when I was a child if I were to be so rude when a guest in someone’s house. If a person is kind enough to invite you into their inner sanctum then feed you, no matter how bad the food is, you should be gracious enough to thank them and be grateful.

But the worst thing about these programs is the people who appear on them! They seem to be talentless wannabe celebs. Having said this most of the entertainment industry seems to be staffed by these imbeciles.

Every program on prime time TV if it’s not "soap" seems to be some competition for cooking, singing, baking, sewing, or knitting! But rather than switch off and read or do something else more interesting, people watch in their millions, and even discuss them the next day! And then these people make a living on the back of being shown to be talentless!

The prize for the most tedious of these programmes goes to ’Big Brother’ where dull people do dull things to entertain dull people. I know I’m sounding more than a little like the world's greatest snob, but really?

I watched a programme last night just to appease my wife, who quite rightly said that I should watch these programmes before passing judgement. I watched `I’m a Celebrity Get Me out Of Here!’  I have watched it before, a few years ago, and it seems to be still the same episode! They had the so-called celebrities doing the same things, and they in turn behaved in the same way.

If you are not sure what this show is about, then you are lucky! But to save you having to watch an episode, what happens is the TV company gathers a load of needy celebrities together, then flies them out to Australia and puts them in a jungle. Which turns out to be a small clearing a few hundred yards from the hotel. Then  gives them a series of tasks to humiliate them. 

And while I’m on the subject, surely they contravene the trading standards rules on goods fit for purpose. They title says ‘I’m a celebrity’, but who the hell are these people? Of the current bunch, I knew Matthew Wright because I’ve seen his programme on TV and I know Steve Davis the snooker player and I once met Rebecca the swimmer (I can’t remember her surname and can’t be bothered to look it up) but I haven’t a clue who the rest of them are!

Besides having to eat the parts of animals that crows leave behind on the road, I can’t see why the teams are so worried. I’m good with spiders and snakes. I love obstacle courses and I would love to visit Australia, although I don’t think I could last a week stuck in a camp with these people.

I’m told that this programme can save people's careers, which came as a bit of a shock to me as I didn’t know they had careers in the first place.

Christopher Biggins, who I think only works at Christmas as ‘Widow Twanky’, was supposed to have made a fortune after appearing on it. I’m still not sure what he does for a living, though.

Katie Price, who is surely one of life’s great mysteries, has also made a bundle out of being on this programme. I think she marries people, then divorces them, then sells lurid stories about these hapless saps to the tabloids! Pure class.

I was told that she was a singer so I looked up her greatest hits and was amused at her attempts to start a pop career. When I sing, I sound like someone dragging a wardrobe - but I can still hold a tune better than her. Then I saw her name on the cover of a book, I was quite surprised that she would turn out to be a best selling author. But when I looked at the book, it soon became obvious that it had been ghost-written. But this woman has to be one of the best hype artists in the business, for that I’ll give her credit.

I have also found out that these people get between £75,000 to £120,000 for the two weeks they are there! So where do I go to sign up for next year? I’m perfect for the show. I have a miniscule amount of fame and I’m talentless, and no one has heard of me: what more do they want?

The only problem is that if they put me with this bunch of desperadoes the show would get a lot of publicity,  but for all the wrong reasons. But still, the money would come in handy.

So, ‘I’M NOT A CELEBRITY, GET ME IN THERE!’

No comments:

Post a Comment