Saturday 27 February 2016

I Want Napoleon Bonaparte's Penis!

We all, from time to time, like a little 'retail therapy'. Even the most hardened hater of shopping will, at some time, buy something that excites them. A female friend of mine who hates doing the girly shopping routine for clothes and shoes etc, actually had some sort of overpowering euphoria when she received a chainsaw that she had ordered!

I have in the past been on crusades to find certain books or records/CD's and just can't explain the short lived happiness when I actually find them usually in some small, dusty back street shop. When I was a seven-year-old child, I asked Santa for a life sized fully functional Dalek. I would lay awake at night in excited anticipation counting down the days until I would be joined with a piece of hardware that would enable me to create the mayhem, and destruction that I could only dream of. When I received a plastic and PVC suit on Christmas day all my hopes and dreams were crushed, but the local bullies and the teachers at St Joseph's junior school were safe from my planned tyranny!

So it's safe to say that I have wanted and craved to buy some odd things in my time, but I have never, ever awoken any morning with a passion to own Napoleon Bonaparte's penis!

I remembered the strange story the other day, while having a coffee and catch up with an old friend of mine. We were talking about a tribe of people that worshipped Prince Philip, thinking he was a god.

As with all good conversations, you start on one subject and end up on something completely different. We then found ourselves talking about pilgrims who travel thousands of miles to stand in reverence in front of a small box that is said to contain a body part of some sort of saint. I don't know what the logic to all this is, as the body part will no doubt belong to some poor hapless sod that died a horrible death many years ago. Most of the saints that the said body parts are supposed to belong to never even existed, and if they did, if they were so holy, how come they died? Sorry, I forgot. God sent his son down as a human sacrifice didn't he? I have visited the un-holy land and been to the place where they say Joshua/Jesus/Yeshua (a man of many names) was finally buried/entombed. There were priests selling small wooden parts of his coffin! The fact that people wouldn't have been buried in coffins at this time doesn't seem to bother the faithful. My wife, who is religious, something most people find odd as she is married to a rabid non-believer, actually bought one of these relics. It is is here in front of me as I type this.

We visited Israel in the year 2000 and the piece of wood is in the shape of the implement of torture used against the said son of God (a cross, if you've not heard the story). It looks as new now as it did on the day my wife bought it. I would bet my house that I'm older than the tree that that piece of wood came from. But I saw at least two people burst into tears at the thought of owning a piece of a non-existent coffin. Not only that, but just how big was this bloody coffin?! They must have sold millions of pieces over the years. He was either a giant, or he was buried in a forest!

For some reason, as we had this morbid but fascinating conversation, I suddenly remembered reading about Napoleon Bonaparte's penis going up for sale many years ago. Like God, my mind also works in mysterious ways, because I cannot give any reason why I should jump from that conversation to Napoleon's dick! I remember reading that his doctor, while doing the autopsy on the most famous of all Frenchmen (he was actually Italian, by the way, and initially fought against the French) decided to cut off his manhood! Why he would do this is beyond me, I cannot think of any reason to do this! The doctor then gave Napoleon's nugget to a priest. It was later sold on to another doctor for $30,000, I think. Since then as much as $100,000 has been offered for this useless piece of flesh.

There are many descriptions of the appendage, ranging from a small shoelace to a small piece of beef jerky. Do you notice the use of the word 'small' each time? This, I think, is to mock the former colossus of Europe. The reason that it is small is because it no longer has a blood supply or any hydration and had been unceremoniously lopped off its former owner while having an unexpected autopsy. Why are people so bothered about whether Napoleon had a big willy or not? And why am I trying to defend the size of his manhood? Either way, it is such a strange thing to want to own!

I suppose I can understand people wanting to be able to touch history in some way but there are some parts of history that I have no interest in touching, Napoleon's willy being one of them. I have written before about looking at the flat cap belonging to my wife's father which hangs in my office. I always smile when I see this, as it just seems to symbolise the man. He was such a gentle giant, a man who wished no harm to anyone. So, for my wife and I, this hat is priceless. The same goes for my father's carpentry tools: they, too, have become relics of sorts. Though on going through them one day, I did notice that he had nicked quite a few of my tools while I worked with him!

So for me body parts are not to be worshipped, or sold to morbid collectors: they should be left with the original owner. But if you do want to deal in body parts, why not get a donor card, and then if something should happen to you, your misfortune can bring happiness to others so you, in a strange way, also get to live on, helping someone else to have a full and active life.

So. My friend and I started by talking about Prince Philip and ended up discussing an old shrivelled dick. That's what I call full circle!


No comments:

Post a Comment