Tuesday 5 May 2015

Elephants!

For nearly all my life I've had an interest in all things pachyderm. I even know when I first became interested in elephants, it was at a very early age.

I have written before about memories, and how we seem to remember strange unimportant events in our lives while forgetting the important. I don't know just how old I was, but I know I can't have been any more than three years old when I first encountered an elephant. I wasn't walking across the Serengeti or in an Asian jungle, I was standing at the side of the road in Huddersfield, a northern town in England. I think it was a circus that had come to town and with this being in the early 'sixties they paraded through the town to drum up business. 

I was standing at the side of the road with my father and my brother John, who is a little older than me. As the parade passed, I cowered behind my father, until I saw an elephant approaching. I have no idea why, but I was totally fascinated with the beast as it slowly but purposefully made its way across what, for it, must have been an alien landscape. I remember as it passed looking at the size of its feet, with me being so young and small it looked like a walking house. I stepped forward to get a better look and the elephant brought down its mighty foot, only just missing crushing me. My father pulled me back to safety, and I yelped as he pulled me by the hood of my coat. It was then that the strangest of things happened, the elephant stopped and turned to look. I swear that it was checking to make sure that it hadn't trod on me. I remember the look on its face, I waved and smiled back at this magnificent beast, which in turn seemed nod its head in acknowledgement. I was so happy, I couldn't remove the smile from my face for over a week, and this wouldn't be the last time that the look on an elephant's face would have such an emotional effect on me.

About ten years ago my wife and I were having a break in the welsh coastal town of Conway. One day we decided to have a drive out to the welsh seaside town of Rhyl. We drove down the coast as the sun lit up the road in front of us - this is not a common occurrence in Wales, sunlight. As we drove on down towards the fading resort we passed a group of large fields. I turned, and out of the corner of my eye saw something that took me back with shock. I refused to mention to my wife what I had just seen, as we mercilessly mock each other when one makes a statement the other thinks is stupid. If I was to say what I had just seen, this would surely happen. We carried on driving for a few miles when my wife turned to me and said, “Right: don't start taking the piss out of me, but I have just seen an elephant at the side of the road back there!” I sighed with relief and replied, “I'm glad you said that, because I saw it as well, but thought I was going insane!” I have no idea why that elephant was walking up the side of a road in North Wales, and there are some things that are better left alone.

Many years ago when I was an unruly teenager I had another connection with an elephant. At the time, I was a nightmare to be around. I did what I wanted, when I wanted, and listened to no one. I was surly, aggressive and ignorant. There are lots of people who would say that I haven't changed one iota!

One afternoon, while watching TV instead of being at school getting an education, a wild life programme came on. People who know me will tell you that I have had a lifetime fascination not only with elephants but with reptiles. I love all reptiles, but snakes have always been my favourites. I have kept many snakes in the past they are easier to keep in a council house in Huddersfield than the average elephant! I have handled venomous snakes and and constrictors and have a few scars to prove it.

This particular afternoon I watched the wild life program in hope that it would be about snakes, wild life programmes rarely are. Instead it was about elephants, so I sat and watched it. Towards the end of the program something happened that moved me so much it changed my outlook on life.

There was a herd of elephants. I'm not sure if they were poached or culled. I don't know who took the film or why this happened. But the whole herd was systematically shot, one by one. The whole herd ran in circles around the calves to try and protect them from the carnage that was taking place. This for me was a show of intellect and empathy. Other animals, including humans, run when faced with such danger, but the herd stood firm together as one. In the end there was only one female elephant running in vain around a few young calves. As it turned to the camera it looked on at who ever was doing the shooting as if to plead for mercy for its young. As long as I live I shall never forget the look on the face of that magnificent brave creature, I really thought that I could see it crying! It, like all the rest, was finally shot. As it fell, it reached out with its trunk to touch the young it had tried to protect in vain. The shot hadn't killed it outright so it tried again to get back to its feet to protect the young, another shot finally dispatched it. The young were also shot!

At the time, I was a hard nosed-little scally with had no regard for anyone but myself. After seeing this mother selflessly giving her life for her children, I suddenly realised just what effect my behaviour was having on the people who cared about me. I realised that they, too, went far above the call of duty to try protect and help me. I sat stunned for a while, It was then that I decided that I wasn't as tough or as clever as I thought I was. It was then that I decided that maybe I should change my outlook on life.

So, though that wonderful beast failed in her valiant attempt to save her own children, she did, in a way, save one child, and for that I shall be eternally grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment