Wednesday 8 April 2015

Lucky Genes?

I don't really believe in luck as such. I suppose chance and luck are the same thing, but it's knowing when to take a chance.

Now, it could be said that in one way we are all incredibly lucky. Forget about all the God nonsense, and just consider how lucky you are to be here. How many eggs does a woman produce in her lifetime. Then what are the chances of one of those eggs being fertilised and developing the full term. The odds of you just being born are phenomenal! Then think about the chances of where you are born. If you are born in a first world environment to loving parents, this means you are one little lucky bunny. The rest of your luck is up to you!

The reason for the above title is because I know some people that seem to win more than their fair share of luck-based games. My wife's sister plays bingo once a week and wins far more than the odds would dictate. I think this lucky gene may have been passed on to my granddaughter.

I have been away for a few days on the East coast of Yorkshire. We hired a caravan and had a lovely relaxing time. While we were there my son and his family came over to visit and stay a night as it was my wife's birthday. Little Harleigh was in her element, running around the caravan and exploring somewhere new. Now, all of the above applies to Harleigh. She is already lucky to be born where she has been born and into families that adore her. Not only that, but she is incredibly beautiful. This is not a besotted Babo saying this, people often stop us in the street to say how beautiful she is! So she is loved and beautiful. This would be enough for anyone, but she also seems to be very lucky.

While we were away, my son, Harleigh and I were waiting for my son's partner, Kim, and my wife to finish trying to buy the complete stock of a national clothing outlet. We entered a small amusement arcade with all its lights flashing out their "look at me" signals. We were looking for a small ride to put Harleigh on, to keep her amused while we waited. There were no small rides to be found, so my son changed 50p into 2p's to play on one of those "shove ha-penny" machines. You know the machines I mean, the ones that look like the pennies are about to fall off the side but are weighted in such a way that hardly any ever fall. The thing I have noticed is that here in Britain, small change is so worthless no one wants it. So the idea was to let Harleigh put the 50p in this machine to keep her quiet, as we thought she would use it all in about five minutes . How wrong we were! Every time she put a 2p in the slot, more money dropped out. We even moved to another machine that looked like it had been rigged to take your money just to get rid of the unwanted 2 pences that were now mounting up. At first our plan worked, but then against all odds she won £2. By now, she was quite bored so we took her winnings (£3.40 in total!) and changed it for proper money.

There was still no sign of either of our partners so we let Harleigh sit an a motor bike that was part of a computer game. As we talked, I noticed that Harleigh was trying to put something into the start slot. When I looked, she had a fifty pence piece in her hand. I asked where she had got it from, and she pointed to a ledge where she had found the money.

This is not an isolated incident. She has displayed this talent for luck all through her life and she isn't yet three years old! While playing a grab-a-teddy machine, my son let her have a go at using the grab lever. She didn't know or care what she was supposed to do, so she just wiggled it about a bit, the grab picked up not one but two little teddy bears and deposited them safely in the out tray! A man that had watched this incident told us that he had been trying to win one of those teddies for six months for his granddaughter, without success! We gave him one of the teddies.

I am very lucky in life, but I don't ever win anything by luck, EVER! If it's a game of chance I'm a Jonah, have me on your team and you won't win anything, this I promise you. But it seems that little Harleigh will sail through life not knowing just how lucky she is!

No comments:

Post a Comment