Tuesday 3 November 2015

Heavy Rock Stars Don't Go Bald!

The other evening I watched a brilliant documentary about Jim Marshall of Marshall amps fame. These amps were staple equipment for 'sixties and 'seventies rock stars.

On the program were lots of musicians from the 'sixties and 'seventies, with lots of stories to tell. As they spoke, I couldn't help but think that 'Spinal Tap' was actually a documentary and not a spoof. I was waiting for one of these former rockers saying, “I had an amp that went to eleven!” But on the whole, it was a very enjoyable look back at the music scene of the day.

While watching the program I couldn't help but notice that nearly all the former rock stars, who must have all been in their late sixties and seventies, had suspiciously full heads of hair! Not only that, but these luxurious mops also seemed to be a youthful dark colour, with not a grey hair to be seen. Now I'm not usually the jealous type, but I do envy the fact that this select bunch of fine drug- and drink- ravaged hard living individuals managed to keep the hairstyles they had back in the day. I know of no one else their age who has managed this!

Having said this, the real star of the program was the music. I love all music, but I have to admit to being left baffled by the disco craze, with the exception of Donna Summer's 'I Feel Love'. Disco and I never really got on. Same can be said for funk; the early James Brown stuff was OK, but the seventies space ships and silver suits were just to much for me. I even like some country and western, 'The Devil Went Down to Georgia' by Charlie Daniels band was good. The devil won, by the way. I like a bit of Johnny Cash, which is a name that sounds like change from a condom machine. I love the old Reggae, though I wasn't ever that impressed by Bob Marley. I loved songs such as 'Double Barrel' and 'Monkey Man'. I even liked some British folk, such as Ewan McColl, who was the father of the late great Kirsty. He penned two songs which were big hits for others, 'The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face' and 'Dirty Old Town', but I loved his versions. Also there was a folk singer from the 'sixties and early 'seventies who I loved, called Jake Thackeray. He died in the 'seventies and, sadly, his music is no longer played anywhere. I shall dig some out later. I love 'Indie' music, in fact this is probably my favourite genre. I also love a bit of old blues and a bit of old soul. 'Can't turn You Loose' by Otis Redding is probably one of the best riffs in music. Love classical as well, especially Debussy.

People often ask me what is my favourite song. When anyone asks you this it's quite hard to come up with a definitive. I have a radio show on Phoenixfm 96.7 which goes out every Wednesday at 2pm GMT. When I ask guests to choose a song their minds always go blank, yet later they can reel off lots of tunes that they like. I think 'Comfortably Numb' by Pink Floyd is in danger of being one of the best songs ever. While Scott Walker's, 'No Regrets' has to be the best ever break up song. For me, the most relaxing song ever is 'Walk On The Wild Side' by Lou Reed. It take me back to warm summer days as kids fishing by a small pool with a little transistor radio playing the tunes of the day. I also love the song, 'Laid' by James, as this too takes me back to happy times. So it's hard to say just what my favourite song, is as I have such an eclectic taste in music, I even love rap music. I especially love Spearhead or any Michael Franti tune. If you get chance to listen to my radio show please do tune in and request a song, I shall be more than happy to play something for you. Let me know what your favourite tune is and why, if you have one that is.

Now you know I said that it is hard to say just what my favourite tune is?.. Just kidding, 'Rock and Roll' by Led Zep is for me, from the opening drum solo to the final chord one of the finest pieces of music ever written, even better than '.Whole Lotta Love'! Actually get hold of a copy of Goldbug's version of 'Whole Lotta Love' - it is a mini master piece!

I hope to hear from you one Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment