Thursday 16 July 2015

Bring Back Spangles!

Mention 'Spangles' to any young person and they think that you are talking 'Vagazzles'! But no, they would be so wrong.  Good old fashioned Spangles are boiled sweets and nothing to do with ladies' squidgy bits!

I was never a great lover of the Spangle, which I think only came in two flavours, Fruit and Old English. Old English was a taste as peculiar as the name by the way. I'm still not sure what the taste was supposed to be. These sweets were the staple diet of old ladies, the type that offered children sweets out in the street without the fear of the police and social services paying them a visit. These old ladies would produce a sweet from their cavernous coat pockets, rub you on the head, then insist that you ate one of their sweets, which were never in their original packets. Some of these sweets, I'm sure, saw action during the second world war!

That's the strange thing about nostalgia; once something has gone, it becomes very appealing. Think about people on diets - they crave cream buns, yet when they are not on diets, they are not bothered? I know people who claim their school days were the best days of their lives, yet they bunked off school at every opportunity.

Going back to the sweets, I used to love cough candy when I was a kid, athough we called them cough sweets. I know you can still buy this, but I don't like it now. But a few years ago, when my father was diagnosed as having terminal cancer and not having long to live, my older brother, John, and I took Dad to Ireland to do the roots thing. Before we set off, I had gone shopping with my wife and had found an old fashioned sweet shop that sold all the old favourite sweets such as sherbet pips, apple tarts, cola cubes and hundreds more. I noticed a jar full of what used to be my favourite sweets, 'voice tablets'. Why these sweets are called this is beyond me, as they are nothing more than flavouring and sugar and I would imagine they'd do more damage than good to your voice if you happened to be a boy soprano. Luckily for me, I don't fall into this category, my voice is more 'obscene phone call' than soprano. I was so pleased to see these sweets and, knowing of my long drive around Ireland, I promptly bought 2lb (a kilo) of these sweets.

We set off a day later on our journey and my father, who loved his sweets, noticed the rather large bag of sweets in the front of the car and promptly asked if he may have one. I handed them back to him without thinking and carried on driving. A few hours later, while driving through Wales on the way to the ferry, I asked my Dad to pass me one of the sweets to which he replied, “what sweets?” 

“The voice tablets” I replied, feeling the need for a sugar rush.
“I can't” he replied quietly.
My heart sunk as he said this, as he was very ill at the time and I genuinely thought some sort of paralysis had set in with him.
“Why can't you pass them?” I replied, trying to control my emotions.
“Because I've eaten them all” he answered.
With this all my concern for his health disappeared, “You greedy bastard, There was 2lb of sweets in that bag, how the fuck have you eaten so many sweets in such a short time? They were supposed to last the whole journey!”
“I love voice tablets, they remind me of my childhood!”
“Don't tell me that Nona bought you 2lb of voice tablets when you were a kid?”
"No she didn't, but had she have done I probably wouldn't have eaten all your sweets now!”
He then spent the rest of the holiday sitting in the back of the car, chuckling to himself like a naughty schoolboy. He regaled every one we met about his Dennis the Menace type raid on my sweet bag.

That is why we should bring back spangles, because they are a throwback to happy times long gone. As for me, I would buy the whole shops stock of voice tablets just to have that time back again with my brother and my father travelling around Ireland. Those sweets for me will forever be a symbol of that time.

1 comment: